Friday, July 24, 2009

चायवाला हिन्दी लेखक : दिल्ली

Times of India : 24-07-2009
Prez pat for roadside author
Neha Pushkarna I TNN

New Delhi: Fantastic, fabulous, mindblowing, mindblasting chaiwala! This line from Slumdog Millionaire probably fits Delhi’s Laxman Rao to the t. Rao sells tea by the roadside, right outside Hindi Bhawan near ITO. But what few people know about is Rao’s contribution to Hindi literature. He has authored no less than 20 books over the last 37 years. Though Rao says the writing circuit in the capital treats him no better than a chaiwala, recognition came from an unlikely quarter on Thursday when President Pratibha Patil invited him over to Rashtrapati Bhawan after reading his latest novel, Renu. Rao’s passion is writing but his tea stall keeps the home embers burning. He was a mere teenager, hardly 18-yearsold, when he wrote his first novel. Since then he has written on politics, social issues, people and life. He settles down on the footpath outside Hindi Bhawan with all his utensils at nine every morning. He leaves for his Shakarpur home well after nine in the evening. His earnings? Anything between Rs 100 and Rs 150 daily. From roadside to Rashtrapati Bhawan, it has been a dream come true for Rao. ‘‘Most people can’t believe that a chaiwala can write books. Initially I could not even find publishers. I have been sitting outside Hindi Bhawan for 15 years now but have never been invited to any literary function there,’’ Rao says. ‘‘Meeting the President was a great moment. My family and I met her for 15 minutes. She asked me how I managed to write even as I sold tea. Unse milkar mere kaam ko aaj recognition mil gayi (My work finally got recognition today),’’ he adds. Vidharbha Mitra Mandal, a group of intellectuals Rao is associated with, had earlier presented Rao’s works to the President. According to Rao, his determination to write overcame all the hurdles he encountered in life. He was born into a farmer’s family in Maharashtra’s Taregaon Dashasar village. His first novel — Ramdas — which sold 2,200 copies, told a tragic tale. A boy called Ramdas drowned in the river in his village and that is when Rao thought of putting his story to words. He came to Delhi in 1975 and worked as a labourer at construction sites, cleaned utensils at various dhabas before setting up his own shack of tobacco products and tea near ITO. Rao then did his BA from Delhi University as an external candidate. Rao is a one-man army. He has already published eight of his 20 books and four others will soon go for print. When he could not find a publisher for his books, he became one himself and started Bhartiya Sahitya Kala Prakashan. ‘‘You don’t need a decorated office. Just compile your work and give it in any press for printing. Publishers have started coming forward now but I can handle everything myself,’’ Rao says. Rao markets his books himself too. ‘‘I usually cycle to different schools and colleges in Rohini, Seelampur and other areas and set up a shack to sell my books. Teachers interested in Hindi literature buy my books. Publishers can’t do all this for me.’’ He sells his books at a discount of 50% for his regular customers. Rao lives with his wife and two sons. His elder son, Hitesh, is a chartered accountancy student while the younger son is a BCom student. ‘‘My family initially wanted me to focus on selling tea. I never thought of finding a job as I wanted to live on my writing. It’s my passion for books that has brought me so far,’’ Rao signs off.

1 comment:

अनूप शुक्ल said...

हिन्दी में लिखा जाये इसे।